A BowTie, among other things, is a conversation starter. A catalyst for communication, if you will.
“Wow! That’s a really cool BowTie! Where did you get it?!”
“Oh this? Its actually a BowTie supporting the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Someone in my family has the disease and I wear it to support them and the MS Society for research.”
And just like that, you’ve got yourself a conversation…and a meaningful one at that!
Whether you wear a BowTie or not, initiating a conversation can be difficult. Where do you begin? What do you say? How do you say it? Interpersonal interactions can be positively nerve-racking for many.
Here are a few one-liners to spur your next discourse!
- I love your necklace (or BowTie, or earrings, etc)!
- Hi! Aren’t you friends with……?
- Go Blue! (Situation specific, of course!)
- Hello, I’m —— its so great to meet you I’ve heard so much about you and would love to better understand what you do!
- I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I overheard you say you’re in (name an industry), so am I!
- What are you passionate about?
No matter what you say, the point is to start talking. There is simply no substitute for real-life, in person, authentic communication.